Thursday, August 21, 2008

Wrap up of the last week or so

-There’s a fine line between a cool, exotic tattoo and a trashy cheap looking one. And that fine line is…a fine line. We took a little gambling boat excursion down the brackish waters of…um, somewhere in Savannah and into international waters where a man and a horse can marry in privacy. The bartender was a very pretty young lady who had a giant dragon tattooed across her back. Pretty hot, right? Not really, because it was all smudgy and prison looking. Maybe at one time it wasn’t. Maybe it was crisp and sharp, but time and sun light (I’m guessing) made it look like a Big Foot photo stamped across her back. She was a perfectly nice bartender but I went back to our room that night and had dreams of getting really crappy tattoos through the night.

-I’ve become mildly obsessed with the word ‘vanish’ over the last two days. I go through phases of getting into certain words for little reasons. ‘Vanish’ is pretty great because it has a connotation that I think would be hard to explain beyond the cookie-cutter definition. It’s not really different from ‘disappeared’ or ‘got lost’ in meaning, but the idea with someone ‘disappearing’ is that they can ‘reappear’, and someone who is ‘lost’ can be ‘found’. ‘Vanish’ is a little more sinister though. Vanish is a little more ominous (and maybe this is my own connotation of it but I don’t think so), meaning that someone has gone and it’s not explained and may never be explained. And they may never come back. No one really ‘unvanishes’.

-Someone bombed the Savannah City Hall right down the road from us. Well, I think it actually turned out to be an electrical problem, but apparently there was an explosion and, although no one was hurt, the rumors began to fly about about what had ‘actually happened’. And the next day everyone told the stories of where they were when the explosion went down for an event that we were all there for anyway. I think folks were getting their “I can’t believe it happened to me” story polished up. Anyway, I think everyone was disappointed when it turned out to be some electrical thing.

-Went on a haunted pub crawl. I was pretty jazzed. The wife is a huge ghost story fan and I’m a big fan of beer so we were pretty stoked as our favorite things were in the offering. However, the tour degenerated into a bunch of drunk people all talking at once. The culmination of this was one woman at a pub interrupting the story-dude and yelling how he sucked as a storyteller and she was going to ‘tell some real storiezzz’ and other drunk people yelling for her to shut up. Oh yeah, and some drunk middle-aged lady tickled me. It was madness. Who’dathunk that an organized drinking excursion could go wrong?

-Oh yeah, I also enjoy names of people and I just stumbled onto this one: Acquanett. Someone's first name is Acquanett, or as I'm presuming it's pronounced, Aquanet. I wonder if Acquanett is really good at staying in place. I wonder if she's good for the environment. I wonder what hair product her parents used.

No comments: