Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Tuesday wrap-up

-It occurred to me the other day that I was probably close to the halfway point of my life. This is considering that I’ll probably be experiencing some form of dementia in my 60s and 70s, so that pretty much negates that portion of my life, although it may make for a little more fantastical (is that really a word? Spellcheck seems to think so, although it does not think ‘spellcheck’ is a word) life. Anyway, this thought plagued me most of last week. I blame work.

-I watched Tropic Thunder last week and finally saw the new Batman movie this weekend. Both are mighty fine and have given me a small glimpse into having a life. I think they were going to revoke my nerd card if I didn’t go see Batman in the theatre. Fortunately it looked like the staff thought I was probably a guy who had seen it many times so they didn’t jump me.

I actually saw the movie by myself, which is something I rarely do. I went early on Sunday and you know what? People don’t shut up at the matinees either. I thought it would be a quiet, low-key affair but sure enough, some dude and girl chatted through a good portion. Also, the guy asked questions right after a character had just asked the same question. Here’s an example: Office toady tells Morgan Freeman he wants 10 million dollars a year for the rest of his life. Morgan Freeman says, “10 million dollars a year?” followed by, about 5 seconds later the dude two rows back repeating, “10 million dollars a year?” This happened several times. Maybe he was watching the movie with a delay.

This, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, is why I hate concerts, live theatre, and the movies now. Daddy is getting old.

-Heading to Savannah this weekend. For the sea food, you ask. No. The ghost tours? No. For the fact that you can drink booze out in the streets with getting arrested? Nope. I’m going to rent the movie Savannah Smiles, sit in a hotel room and watch it over and over.

There was a summer where Savannah Smiles was on alllll the time on HBO. Does everyone have a story like that? Where you were a kid and HBO played the same movie over and over and you watched it every time? Man, I don’t know how many times I watched the Incredible Shrinking Woman (starring Lily Tomlin) and Superfuzz (starring no one of note) growing up. Those movies were always on.

-We just had August 8th, 2008 on Friday. Why is this important? Well because it’s 08/08/08. Again, that seems relatively unimportant but, when I was a lad, my grandmother pointed out to me that some particular date (I’ve since forgotten what that date was) was that day and that that configuration of numbers would never happen again in our lifetimes, so now, when I see a date that has some special numerical value, I think that this is the only time this will happen in my lifetime. I think she meant it to be a ‘live life to its fullest’ sentiment but generally it just depresses the shit out of me. Still my grandmother was pretty bad ass so it’s good to think of her, regardless of the circumstances. Remind me to tell you the story about her dropping a wood post on a snake repeatedly to kill it sometime.

-I was supposed to go to auditions for Mojo this weekend. I’m already cast in that mug so I was supposed to read with potential scene partners. I have to admit, it’s very cool to already be cast and come in to read with folks. The pressure is completely off.

FYI, for auditions, a lot of people get dolled up. I have, in the past, gotten spiffed up for auditions, but then I realized it makes me feel unnatural and I don’t read very well because of it. So I’ll clean up a bit and then dress comfortably nice. However, some folks dress UP. A lot of actresses (inexperienced ones mostly) wear really tight clothes and low cut tops. This is funny to me as a lot of directors are female or are gay males (not all, to be fair) so why the director would want to see their boobies is a bit beyond me. Anyway, in the few times I’ve been pre-cast (which is funny in itself and many industry folks hate that term, ‘pre-cast’, more on that some other time), I show up like a complete slob. I look like I’m on a bender and I just showed up at the theatre by coincidence. I don’t know why I do this. I guess because I can. It makes me feel good. Anyway, the auditions were canceled so I sat home like a slob instead and made sloppy joes. I did read some scenes with the dogs, though, and put them in low-cut tops just for authenticity.

-Went to a meeting for the wrestling school this weekend too. I love hanging with wrestlers and would-be wrestlers. It’s like living in a comic book. We’re all chatting seriously about masks and where a good place to get spandex is and it’s just awesome. We started looking at tentative blast-off dates for the fed(eration) and hopefully that will start rolling soon. Daddy misses the wrestling like the deserts miss the rain and the desserts miss the chopped nuts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking as a straight male director, you need to shut the hell up with your no tight tops rabble-rousing.

Shtum, my friend,...shtum.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, HBO. ISW, Super Fuzz, 9 to 5, Clash of the Titans, On the Right Track, The Pirate Movie, Zorro the Gay Blade, Caveman, Ice Pirates, Beastmaster…

mmyers said...

Sorry, baldsug. I actually thought of you when I wrote that bit. It just cracks me up. I watched a young actress in a strapless tube top (with a strapped bra underneath) and a tight black skirt jump over seats to shake the director's hand once. Oh to be a director...

get your free cone, we obviously had HBO at the same moment in time! As an aside, I never understood that the brother in Zorro the Gay Blade was gay as a kid. I just thought he was the awesome one with the bullwhip!

"The sheeeps in the fields...the bah-bah-bahs."