Friday, May 16, 2008

Headshot but no kill


So my headshot pictures are done and I’ve seen them. They look awesome…well, as awesome as pictures of me can look. Stacey is a wizard (Wizardess? Sorceress? Harriet Potter? I dunno. Anyway, she’s good.) with a camera. Now I have to figure out which one to use.

For the record, I chose to go with my ‘young dad’ look, which is kind of what I feel like I’m bridging into, which is much cooler than my ‘too old to be in college, too young to be a dad’ phase that I’ve been in the last few years. (My mom said I shouldn't use any of the ones were you can see my wedding ring. Sorry ladies...)

I had two auditions on the same day this week, which always makes me feel like a pro-actor. The one that I went to on my lunch break (Sherlock Holmes, to be exact) was all set to go well. I had read the script (which I don’t always do), I had some bits set up to do in the audition (I was prepared, ya see), and I was auditioning for a director I like and consider a friend so no pressure. Anyway, I sat there for 40 minutes watching my lunch break tick away so when I finally got in there to audition, I was sweating and watching the clock. Anyway I did OK. Except for the awkward conversation about the fact that rehearsals are in the daytime. I didn’t notice that fact until I looked at the sheet I had to fill out so in the question marked ‘conflicts’ I wrote: “I hate my day job and I’d like to quit it.” Subtle, right?

Anyway, the nighttime audition went not-so-good (it was for Dracula). I have a precedent of doing horribly when I audition in Lawrenceville. Not sure what it is. I think it’s that I’ve never auditioned for a show there were an English accent wasn’t required. Strange that English accents are so prevalent in Lawrenceville theatre, but it is often called The Thames of the South. OK, no one ever calls it that. Anyway, I psyche myself out and have shitty auditions and this was no exception. The nice thing is that you usually run into a couple of folks you know, as I did, and I sat on the floor behind a desk and chatted up my pals like we were hiding from bullies while I waited to speak in my crappy accent.

A funny side story about auditions: actors (who are not douche bags) will look out for each other in very cool ways. So my pal Matt comes up to me and asks about Renfield being immortal. I didn’t remember that happening in the story so Matt hands me the play and walks off. He’d only read the first page (I quote Matt: “I couldn’t get through it.”) but on there, Renfield addresses the audience and says how Bram Stoker had made him immortal. Just a mistake on Matt’s part (I guess that first page really was hard to get through) and I considered for a minute really f’ing with Matt and telling him something ridiculous, but instead I went and told him the story of Dracula so he’d know what he was saying. And other actors have hooked me up on stuff I hadn’t read too, so I paid it forward. But I fought the urge to mess with him.

It reminded me of my friend Jason in high school who did a book report (complete with drawings) for To Kill a Mockingbird. Jason never read the story but guessed that it was about a mockingbird being killed and he knew that Gregory Peck was in a court room in the movie, so he filled in the blanks. It was about a boy who killed a mockingbird and went to court for it. Fantastic. I would KILL to have that book report now. KILL.

Oh yeah, also on their sheet it asks you your name and then it says ‘nickname?’, so I wrote “Thunder.” No one calls me Thunder but it would be awesome if they did.

2 comments:

mamaevel said...

hey, that's real nice!

you look like you're ready for business. in an actorly way. notice i didn't say actor-y....

nice work, bode + myers.

stacey said...

it was dandy working with you, thunder.