Friday, January 30, 2009

Random notes from Leadership class

-The phrase 'well spoken'. No one ever says about a white person that they are "well spoken". I remember a Chris Rock bit where he was saying that white people refer to all educated black people as 'well spoken' but I thought it was a joke. Turns out it was not a joke and some people really do utter that stupid phrase with sincerity.

I'd really like it if someone called me 'well spoken', though. Chances are, however, it ain't gonna happen. Probably because I use the words 'ain't' and 'gonna'.

-If you say, "you like to think outside the box" then you're thinking inside the box. Because 'outside the box' is the new 'inside the box'. It's like, everyone can't say that they're different from everyone else because that in fact makes them just like everyone else. Make sense? Even if it doesn't, note to office folks: please stop using this phrase. It is used at least 4 time severy class.

I, personally, would love to think 'outside the box'. Sadly, the only two places I'm allowed to think at work are (a) in my cubicle and (b) in the bathroom stall. But those are both, you guessed it, 'inside of a box'.


-We discussed a piece of clip art for 10 minutes. No kidding. It was a piece of clip art that was of a man at a microphone and he looked nervous and we all discussed how we would feel if we saw this man getting ready to give a presentation. And people legitimately discussed maybe there was something wrong with him or if he was on mediciation and perhaps we could learn from him if he was. He was a freaking piece of clip art.

It didn't occur to me until just now that I should have said, if I were faced with meeting this clip art man, that I would have a lot questions about how a clipart man came to life. How did I get transported to this Cool World/Roger Rabbit of clipart? Dang that would have been funny. It would have been hard for me to not laugh, though.

-This has nothing to do with anything except that I think it'd be good. When I have to 'punch-out', I'd like to play Mike Tyson's Punch Out in order to do it. That'd make me really look forward to getting off work.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd say you are very well written... you know, for a lowly Thespian.

Gray said...

Hopefully the Punch-Out process would involve Glass Joe or King Hippo-- someone you could take care of quickly, and get the heck out of there.

mmyers said...

Get your free cone,
I've always considered myself a writer with thespian tendencies.

Gray,
Yeah, it's true. If it were Sandman or Mike Tyson himself, I'd have to attempt to clock out 5 minutes earlier than I want to leave. Or I'd just use the cheat code.