Saturday, June 28, 2008

Gosh I've been busy lately

But these guys have been helping me through my busy time.


I went to see GBV in New Orleans a little over 10-11 years ago. We stood in the very front. Two nerdy cool things that happened: I was wearing my Big Star t-shirt (that my ex -girlfriend later stole). The drummer stopped everything to announce that my shirt was awesome. He may have also said, "Make sure your girlfriend doesn't steal that shirt one day" but I may be super-imposing that into the memory. The other cool thing was that GBV had a cooler of beer on stage and agreed to play until they finished it. My pal Todd was low on dough and asked Bob Pollard if he could have a beer from the cooler. Pollard said, "Well, you let old Uncle Bob grab you one" and gave him a beer out of the cooler. Of course a bunch of other folks immediately asked for one and 'Uncle Bob' gave a few more out thus shortening our show a bit, but it was pretty cool.

Also, Uncle Bob pulling off high kicks and old school rock flair was pretty great, especially for a dude in his late 40s.

2 comments:

Will said...

My GBV shirt that says "Live it up before you pass away" on the back is one of my most prized possessions.

Two things coming up that we should attend: 1. A GBV cover band at the Earl later this summer. 2. Bob Pollard and his new band at the Earl in October.

mmyers said...

Yes! It's on. Keep me posted, please, as I am way out of the loop most of the time.