Monday, June 9, 2008

Beginning of the week wrap-up

No one ever does a beginning of the week wrap up. I figured ‘why not?’

-Watched the Pixies documentary ‘loudQUIETloud’ this weekend. Not a bad flick, although I kept waiting for some sort of confrontation or catharsis or something. I guess that’s the problem with real life (and documentaries): there is no ‘big moment’ or happily ever after de nous mont. Instead it felt like there was the simmering of something else always waiting to bubble up. The misses and I were talking about how quiet they all are around each other. Then the speech from Pulp Fiction popped in my head about comfortable silences. Maybe they all are REALLY comfortable around each other. However, I don’t think so. Good music, though.

-A funny aside while watching the film was my wife and I thinking at the same time how hot Kim Deal must be wearing a sweater IN CONCERT! A sweater! I’m burning up on my couch right now and I don’t have hot lights or a task to perform. Anyway, I knew, from that silly observation, that the misses and I are meant to be. That and that she told me the other day what not to do if I ever killed her. She watches a lot of the Court channel, so she laid it out for me. Good woman.

-So I went from really having not much coming up theatre-wise, to now having lots o' stuff to do. I start rehearsals next week for my pals Christian and Randy’s new show ‘Fwd.’ Should be fun. They’re funny/talented cats and my part should be a hoot. That’s over at the Dad’s. And if the cast is who I think it will be, I'm in hog heaven.

And then after that begins ‘Dracula’ in Lawrenceville. I get to be Renfield. This marks the first time in the history of my acting career where I requested to read for a part and actually got it. What a world! That drive to Lawrenceville is going to kick my butt due to the ever inflating price of gas. It might be cheaper for me to rent an apartment in Lawrenceville. You think I’m kidding. 90 miles round trip. 5-6 times a week. That’s a tank and a half of gas a week. Think about it. Talking about paying for the privilege to do your art. Still, I’m stoked about the show, though.

Plus, Tim and I are trying to write some sketch stuff. Combine that with the hope of doing a short film with Sweeney and you’ve got an action packed schedule, Pee-Wee.

-Went to see Song of the Dead this weekend at Dad’s. Good stuff. I was hanging out during the genesis of the idea but had no idea the monster it would become. Good tunes, good group doing it, and two good writers. I was really impressed. And I’m what they call, in the theatre community, a ‘douche bag’, which means I generally come to shows to be overly critical and second guess everything everyone everywhere is doing, politely smile afterwards, then talk shit about them on the way home. But this time I didn’t have to do that.

Oh yeah, and good pal Steve (Platinum) Scarborough takes a hellacious bump on that hard-ass Dad’s stage. Take it from a guy who’s banged his knees and elbows on that thing more times than he can remember, that ain’t fun. But it looks cool.

-I realized this morning that I have three types of showers:
The ‘Swamp Thing’: this is the quick shower when I’m just too stinky to be functional but have to be somewhere. This is pretty much hitting the ‘problem areas’ and getting out. Run time: 3-5 minutes.

The ‘9 to 5’: this is the most frequent shower. It’s my morning wake up shower and a light, half-assed sort of affair. I get clean, I wash my hair. It’s a strictly by the numbers shower. Sometimes I shave afterwards but mostly I don’t. Or I’ll shave the parts of my face that REALLY need it. Run Time: 5-7 minutes.

Lastly, the ‘Bachelor’: The Bachelor is the full swing, double scrub, getting sassy. This shower was made popular in my teens and up to mid-20s, before I was a complete slob. Or at least wanted to give the appearance that I wasn’t a complete slob. This is the kind of shower/primping that I did when I thought I might get laid. I guess it’s the equivalent of a woman shaving her legs for a date. Now it’s more of my ‘wedding, funeral, audition, big date with the wife’ shower. This one requires some spruce time because I don’t quite have that slobbish charm that I used to have (you know, that Euro-greasy look the lads have? I used to have that. Now, not so much, so I actually have to try to look good. And it isn’t always effective like it used to be.) Run time: 10 minutes for shower, plus additional 15 bathroom minutes to primp.

Now you know.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Renfield. Holy beep. That's awesome. Congrats on the part. Regarding showers, I find that you need to treat yourself right at bathtime. Loofah. Various soaps and shampoos. Waterproof magazines. Sometimes I'll even put a sleeping bag in there.

Unknown said...

I always shave (my two hairs) in the shower. I find the hot water makes it a lot easier. I feel a little bit guilty about the water I'm surely wasting but not too bad, since it takes a week for me to grow what most people grow in an afternoon.

Will said...

You as Renfield = holy smokes.

Also, I'll take a moment here to laugh at you people who have hair to wash and all the time you waste.

mmyers said...

I think it would have been cooler if I had named all of the shower levels after Dolly Parton movies.

Yeah, Renfield should be fun. I'm nerdily excited about having that connection to Tom Waits.