Monday, February 16, 2009

26 Things that show I'm self-absorbed

Hey, there's a mild review in the Sunday Paper for Mojo. Mainly I think we're just the stick used to beat up some of the other shows around Atlanta near the bottom. But whatever. Any publicity is sort of useful publicity.

Oh yeah. Folks have been doing the 25 things around Facebook, so I eventually acquiesced and wrote my own. I may put it up on Facebook even, provided that I can remember to do so. Send me yours too, if you want. I like to read stuff at work and can't get into Facebook there. Ok, here goes.

25 Things about Me

1. I have Synaesthesia. That means I taste shapes. This generally only happens when I’m tired. Very tired. Only once or twice have I ever thought I might choke on the shape in my mouth.

2. I wanted to go into advertising until I found out I probably wouldn’t get to make up stuff until after years of paying dues and fetching coffee.

3. My Dad kidnapped my brother and I when we were kids (otherwise it would have been adult-napped, I suppose) and we lived in Pennsylvania for a while. Of course we were eventually returned to our mom, but we totally ran from the law in a Jeep for a time.

4. I fell in love with theatre while watching The Super Medics wrestle the Wild Samoans in Pensacola, Florida when I was 9 years old. I sort of knew it was fake but then I didn’t have a problem with that. It was theatre at its most awesome.

5. When I was a kid and wanted to go to sleep, I’d often envision I was crushed under a lot of rocks or that I was sleeping on the roof of a moving car. Sometimes thinking about sleeping on the roof of a moving car still makes me go to sleep.

6. The most scared I’ve ever been for a short period of time was nearly driving off the bluffs in Pensacola because the cars brakes went out. I was in a car full of people on acid. It was nuts.

7. The most scared I’ve ever been for a long period of time was getting laid off in 2007. I was out of work for 4 months roughly and I don’t think that feeling of fear has left me since.

8. The angriest I’ve ever been was probably the night my wife got robbed in front of our apartment. The robber guy ran off before I got to her but I swear I would have murdered that guy with my bear hands if I got ahold of him.

9. I’ve had alter egos all my life. These have included: Gibney the Alien, Mr. Ahowdi-do, Flavio De Martini, and Mr. Tai-bo Croco (whose theme song would be sung by Dave Matthews).

10. My brother used to tell me I was retarded and that everyone didn’t want to tell me because they wanted me to feel like other kids. For awhile I totally thought this was true. When I got tested for the Gifted Program (PATS) in 3rd grade I totally freaked out because I thought they were taking me to be in the retarded kids' classes. Subsequently, I did not get into the Gifted Program.

11. I credit my brother’s best friend Ricky Halgen (aka Rockin’ Rick Nugent) with convincing me to be an actor. He said he wanted to be a racecar driver and then one day he showed up at our house with a racecar and then he went and raced it. I thought, “Say something ridiculous then go do it. I didn’t know you could actually do that!”

12. I think the most important characteristic in other people is genuineness. It’s more important to me than talent or humor or what the other person can ‘do’ for me. Even if a person is an asshole, I appreciate them more if they’re a genuine asshole than a fake asshole.

13. The term ‘fake asshole’ makes me think of Will E. Coyote when he paints a fake tunnel and Road Runner is able to go through it but Will E. isn’t.

14. I don’t enjoy children. There are a few rare exceptions.

15. I never, ever thought I’d have a pair of Calvin Klein jeans. I just thought they were too expensive and it was pretentious to own them. Today, I uncomfortably admit I own a pair. They’re pretty beat up, though. Take that, Marky Mark and Cindy Crawford.

16. In college, my professors told me that I’d probably be miserable as an actor and that I should try to continue writing instead (I wrote a lot back then). I balked at that and worked extra hard to be an actor. On sulky days I think they may have been right.

17. One time I called my grandpa up and was bitching about how my life is completely busy all the time and wondered how he (a guy who was in WW2, came home and bought a farm and farmed during the day and worked at a paper mill 40+ hours at night while supporting a wife and 3 kids) did it. And he sighed and said, “You just do it” and said it so I felt like the biggest whiner/cry baby ever. Anyway, on days when I think I may crumble under the pressure I wear one of his hats, generally the beat up brown one. This hat is also known as my ‘bourbon hat.’ However my grandpa doesn’t drink.

18. When I first saw my wife, she was 16 (I think, maybe 17) and I sang “There she goes” by the La’s while I was working in the coffee store. She was breathtaking then and gorgeous now.

19. I’m fairly certain that most of my idols would be assholes if I met them in real life. This has spawned me saying, “Respect the art and not the artist” more times than I can remember.

20. Heaven is: a cabin in the woods with my wife and dogs and a fresh pot of coffee on the pot. Maybe some salmon on the grill.

21. I never wanted another animal after my poodle Muffin died. He was 15 years old and my mom couldn’t bear to put him down so she made make the decision. I promised I’d never have one again. AC showed up with a Rottweiler nine years ago and I’ve had a house full of animals ever since. Now my dogs are my pride and joy.

22. I have few regrets but a growing one is never getting to see the people I love very often.

23. If I had a car just for kicks (and not for any sort of practicality), it’d probably be a late 60’s Nova or a Plymouth Valiant. My brother’s second car was a Valiant and he hated it. I loved that car.

24. I used to LOVE dancing at clubs. I would try to sneak into bars to dance. Sadly I’m too uncomfortable with myself to dance anymore. I’d rather drink or not be there at all.

25. My perfect birthday gift these days would be a nice glass of scotch (on ice) and a good cigar.

No comments: