Wednesday, November 5, 2008

7 things about me you may not know

Evel said I should do this and so I have, 7 little known facts about me.

-I was on my way to Boston when I stopped in Atlanta. I planned on being here a year then going to graduate school for playwriting at BU. None of these things ended up happening and 10 years later, here I am.

-I was in a band called SuperZero for two years during college. We sucked. I played bass and sang. After that I was in a two person folk band called Don’t Fuck with the BabySitter (any nerds know what that’s from?) playing a chord organ and guitar and singing. And I played some solo acoustic shows too. My hands would shake so badly that I’d shoot guitar pics all over the place.

-I never wanted to get married. I had every intention of being with my wife forever but never having a ceremony or being husband and wife. Marriages don’t really work well in my family and I always thought it was a crock of shit anyway, not ever being worried about ‘living in sin’. Anyway, while in NY doing a show I realized that Anna-Claire would always have a lingering doubt that I wasn’t committed to our relationship and loving big parties (and my wife to be), we got married. I’ve never regretted it.

-I’m not blown away by Barrack Obama. I know I’m supposed to be but I’m not. I have a ‘wait and see’ attitude toward him. Still, things couldn’t get any worse than the way they’ve been for the last few years so that’s liberating. I do think he could do a good job of reversing the recession because optimistic people spend money and scared people do not, and believe me, in my office, folks are Opt-O-Mistic. It's been awhile since folks have been optimistic.

-My grandfather is my hero. I wear his coats and his hats and when I’m in a jam, I think about what he would do or say. He’s a retired farmer, paper mill worker, and military officer and he’s one of the level headed/funniest people I know.

-I applied for a job in a mailroom but was not qualified to sort mail. This led to temp jobs which led me to a permanent job as a file clerk which lead to small promotions in that company which led to a job as a collections auditor which led to complete misery for me. All because I wasn’t qualified to sort mail.

-I’m terrified of public speaking. My voice breaks and my hands sweat, I hear my pulse in my ears and I’m in complete panic the whole time, which causes me to look down and literally shuffle my feet like that shy dog from Bugs Bunny when he says, “Nope, nope, nope, nope.” I assume I’d be over that, having to perform in front of people semi-regularly, but I’m not and am getting even more uneasy about it as I get older. This is also starting to infiltrate my psyche in regular social situations. No idea what is changing for me.

Now I'm supposed to also peg 7 folks to do this as well, but I don't want to lay that trip on you. If you wanna do this, I'm all for it though.

3 comments:

Will said...

"Don't fuck with the Lords of Hell."

"Don't fuck with the babysitter."

Ah, Elizabeth Shue. 13-year old Will had such a crush on thee.

mamaevel said...

nice work, mr myers.

i too share your fear and general angst about public speaking. what a nightmare.

but, i like obama. a lot. this may just be because he's a terrific orator, but still...i dig the optimism.

mmyers said...

Will,
I loved that movie (and Elizabeth Shue, particularly that scene). We had talked about being called "Don't fuck the babysitter" but that felt disrespectful to Ms. Shue.

Evel,
Definitely think Obama can talk like few others. He obviously has no qualms with public speaking. I look forward to many years of speeches with lots of comparisons and similes in them.